Bethel University’s literary magazine, The Crossings, is excited to announce our very own high school writing contest! From November 25th, 2019 through January 15th, 2020, we’re accepting submissions from writers grades 11-12 of their original, unpublished work. Writers may submit one of each category: short fiction, non-fiction, drama, and poetry.
First place winner will receive a $5,000 scholarship (divided over four years) to attend Bethel University. Second place winner will receive a $2,500 scholarship (divided over four years) to attend Bethel University (see terms at bottom of page). Both first place, second place, and the winner of each category and will receive a copy of The Crossings print magazine where their pieces will be published. All winners will have their pieces published online at thecrossingsjournal.org.
- To enter, you must be grade 11-12 as of fall 2019.
- All short fiction, non-fiction, and drama pieces should be between 500 and 2500 words. Poetry submissions should be no more than 30 lines.
- Previously published stories are not accepted.
- Only one submission per person per category. This means that multiple submissions from one person will only be accepted if each piece is a different genre.
- All submissions should be typed in a standard font.
- No late submissions will be accepted.
How to Submit:
Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “High School Writing Contest.” Submissions should be typed in standard font. All submissions should be attached as a .doc or .docx file. Please include the title of the piece and its genre in the body of your email. Write your name and home address, grade, school, and phone number at the end of the email. All identifying information apart from the title should be left out of the attached file.
January 15th, 2020 11:59 pm ET
Terms of Scholarship
This scholarship is based on full-time attendance at Bethel University. It can be applied to tuition costs only. This scholarship is not renewable or transferrable.