The Crossings is excited to announce the 6th annual High School Writing Contest!
From October 12, 2021, through December 1, 2021, The Crossings is accepting submissions of original, unpublished work from high school Juniors and Seniors. Writers may submit one of each category: short fiction, non-fiction, drama, and poetry.
First place winner will receive a $5,000 scholarship (divided over four years) to attend Bethel University. Second place winner will receive a $2,500 scholarship (divided over four years) to attend Bethel University (see terms at bottom of page). Both first place, second place, and the winner of each category and will receive a copy of The Crossings print magazine where their pieces will be published. All winners will have their pieces published online at thecrossingsjournal.org.
A winner will be chosen by The Crossings editorial team from each of the four categories, and an overall first-place and second-place winner will be chosen from the winners of the four categories.
The winners from each of the four categories will have their pieces published in the print and online version of The Crossings as well as receive a copy of the Spring Edition of The Crossings.
In addition, the overall first-place winner will receive a $5,000 scholarship and the overall second-place winner will receive a $2,500 scholarship to attend Bethel University (see terms at bottom of page).
- Must be a high school Junior or Senior (11th or 12th grade) as of Fall 2021.
- All short fiction, non-fiction, and drama pieces should be between 500 and 2500 words. Poetry submissions should be no more than 30 lines.
- Previously published stories are not accepted.
- Only one submission per person per category. Multiple submissions from one person will only be accepted if each piece is a different genre.
- All submissions should be typed in standard font, preferably 12pt Times New Roman or 11pt Arial, double-spaced.
- No late submissions will be accepted.
How to Submit:
Email submissions to email@example.com. The subject line should read: “HS Writing Contest: [insert genre of piece].”
In the body of the email, please include:
- the title of the piece,
- the genre of the piece,
- your name,
- school, and
- phone number.
***All identifying information apart from the title should be left out of the attached file.
December 1st, 2021, 11:59 pm ET
Terms of Scholarship
This scholarship is based on full-time attendance at Bethel University. It can be applied to tuition costs only. This scholarship is not renewable or transferrable.